Mark Robijn

Mark Robijn
Celebrating the Joy of Writing www.markrobyn.com

Monday, December 26, 2016

I went to see the new Star Wars movie Rogue One tonight. There were many good things about it, but I still have to give it a 5 out of 10.
My reasons:
1. There were no new alien characters in it, at all. The aliens in it were all props that could have been human, except for the mind reading alien that really had no personality.
2. The first half was confusing to me, I had trouble following the plot as it switched from one planet to another. Maybe after about three viewings I will feel more comfortable with what is going on.
3. The main character had little or no personality, or personality arc. She was the same at the beginning as at the end. None of the main characters had much personality or characterization.
4. There was a lot of talking and deep conversations through the first half of the movie. I found myself bored and feeling like I was enduring some kind of torture, wishing I could leave, and closing my eyes wanting to take a little catnap.
5. It was very dark throughout. There was no light moments to interrupt the dark times, making it seem a little like a tedious exercise.
6. The general or senator or whatever he was who was in charge of creating the Death Star weapon and who led the attack on the planet had no real personality. Here was a space where they could have put in a new, interesting and deliciously evil villain. Instead he was just an old cranky man, a mirror of so many others before him.
7. The robot helper in this movie was at the least annoying, at the most rebellious and mean. When he said that if they shot the girl instead of him, he wouldn't think it was a bad thing, I began to dislike him a lot. And when he openly rebelled and left the ship, I thought, 'man, I'd sell this robot and get a decent one'.
Good Things:
1. I love the battle scenes at the end. They were fun, especially the fight with the walkers.
2. The idea of pushing the Empire ship into the other one and using it to break the shield was really neat, the best scene in the movie.
3. The scene retrieving the data was good. I liked the idea her father named it after her.

All in all, this movie could have been so much more, just all the other Star Wars movies except for the first three. If you disagree with me, feel free to leave your comment below, please just keep it civil and without rancor. We all have a right to our opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment