Mark Robijn

Mark Robijn
Celebrating the Joy of Writing www.markrobyn.com

Sunday, September 13, 2020

You Were Only a Dream My Heart Made

 You Were Only a Dream My Heart Made


The pillow still holds

The shape of your head

I still feel the warmth

Of your body in the bed

 

But you were only a dream my heart made.

 

Your toothbrush lies

On the edge of the sink

Your slippers in the corner

Are mute reminders in furry pink

 

Still, you were only a dream my heart made.

 

My mind plays an old tape

I’ve forgotten to erase

What to get for your birthday?

Candy or flowers in a vase?

 

You were only a dream my heart made.

 

Were you ever really real?

Did you ever really exist?

Did you ever really live here?

Did I ever feel your kiss?

 

Or were you only a dream that my heart made?

 

I know now how the Phantom of the Opera feels

To love someone so deeply physical scars matter not,

To be wounded so deeply that it touches your soul,

You cling to the hope that hope is not lost.

 

Until you were only a dream my heart made.

 

I stumble through the day

Like a toy with a missing part

I’m broken and can’t function

Now that we’re apart

 

I have to remember…

You were only a dream my heart made.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment